Before choosing the product, you can consider the following inputs that may help
you decide on the air-conditioner that best suits your requirements.
Size & capacity:
Size of the air conditioner that you select is the important part of the buying
Consider the following points-
If the AC has less tonnage, cooling inside the room will be insufficient and electricity
will get wasted because you may need to run it on high all the time.
If the AC tonnage is high, you may need to switch it off regularly when you feel
cold. Switching on & off will also lead to waste of energy.
The chart below may help you with making a good choose. However, the effect of cooling
are subject to other factors such as air leakage through the window/doors, other
equipments inside the room that generate heat, frequent opening of the window/door,
radiation of heat from the ceiling/walls, etc.
Room Size (Sq ft)
< 90 sq ft
TYPES OF AIR CONDITIONERS
Portable air conditioner
Portable air conditioners can be moved from room to room and use the same heat-exchange
principles as built-in models. This means they can cool and dehumidify the air.
- Can be moved from room to room
- Can be plugged into a normal power point - no need for professional installation
- Some are only suitable as personal coolers rather than room coolers
Window air conditioner:
Wall or window models can be installed in a window or an external wall.
- Can cool single rooms well
- Smaller units can be plugged into existing power points
- Single unit
- Requires lesser upfront cost as installation is simple
- Not suitable for larger rooms
- Aesthetically not as impressive as split ACs
Split system air conditioner:
Split ACs are generally used to cool one or more rooms, or an open-plan area. A
compressor unit is installed outside and then one or two outlets are positioned
- More flexibility on where to locate the outside component than wall models
- Can cool open-plan areas well
- Very quiet operation – less noise
- Attractive and aesthetic designs
- Good air distribution for ACs of same size
- Won't cool more than a couple of rooms or a single open-plan area
- More expensive than portable air conditioner or window air conditioner
- Have separate internal and external units which need to be joined. This requires
drilling, fixing of piping and fixing the internal unit permanently. Re-locating
the indoor unit requires dismantling both internal & external units and joints.
VOLTAGE STABILIZER FOR AC
Indicative of the voltage stabilizer to be used:
Capacity of AC (ton)
2.0 ~2.5 ton
- Check for the Energy Star label on the product & user manual and catalogues of the
- 5 star sticker indicates highly energy efficient
- No star indicates that the manufacturer does not claim the model as energy efficient
- Cost also will vary according to the Energy star label
Noise level can be checked only during working of the AC. Check with your friends/relatives
and obtain their feedback if any.
Consider what the air conditioner will look like when fitted on your wall. Try to
choose the colour that blends in with your decor.
Generally, all the functional controls will be available through remote control.